We live in a society, where we are judged every now and then. People are habituated in grading one’s personality from subtle dining etiquettes. This circumstance can not be avoided if you are in a corporate world, or going for interviews. You are already determined to develop a better personality and impress the clients.
Undergoing personality development is not just about improving communication skills. Learning decent dining etiquettes is also a fundamental part of the training. Nowadays, most of the universities equip the potential executives with dining decorum as a part of all-round personality development. You need to be well versed in the table manners and cutlery protocols to compliment your beautiful personality amidst business banquets.
History of dining etiquettes-
Demand of decent dining skills in corporate culture have raised significantly in modern days. But the origin of such extravagant habits can be traced back to ancient aristocrat societies. The latest dining styles, American and Continental are inspired from 15th century world.
Advantages of learning dining etiquettes –
Corporate dinners and hangouts are specifically aimed for strengthening relationships. Attending such feasts throw an opportunity to introduce yourself and build network with business personas. Lack of proper dining etiquettes can divert your focus from important talks. You might waste the whole time by being conscious over the table manners. But if you are well aware about the dining etiquettes previously, you can solely direct your energy towards discussions.
Diplomats at supreme positions care a lot about dining skills. They can deduce a man’s personality from his table etiquettes. So, not having sufficient knowledge in this practice can bring down your position and reputation.
Some popular dining etiquettes –
The dining manners can vary in different countries and continents as they are deeply influenced by culture. Here we are jotting down some widely practised etiquettes for your knowledge-
- As per the continental style, you should hold the fork in left and knife in the right hand.
- Never rest your elbow over the table while eating your meal.
- Always sit with a straight back. Leaning on the chair will make you seem lazy and sluggish.
- Arabic style of eating with hand- eat with food at your fingertips and push it lightly inside the mouth.
- To remember the location of utensils and crockery, recall the acronym BMW- Bread- Meal- Water which decodes that your food is placed to the left of a dinner plate, while water to the right.
- You should have a general idea about which fork to use for a specific course. For example, the salad fork is smaller whereas entrée fork is a bit larger in size. The biggest spoon on the table is used for soup.
- You must know how to place a fork and knife to indicate resting and finishing position.
- Be thankful to the waiters and refrain from criticising them for food services.
If you are the host of the night-
Things are a little different when you have hosted a feast for bureaucrats. Stick to the below-mentioned tips for getting appraisal –
- Guide your guests graciously to the allotted tables and present the menu before them.
- Let them pull out their chair by themselves in a formal business party.
- Be extremely careful while dealing with food alternatives and restaurant choice.
- Pay the bill of your guests as you have invited them for a meeting.
At the end of the day, we would highly stress that you must get accustomed with adequate table protocols along with communication skills. These manners may require much of your time and effort for learning. But possessing these nuances will show your acceptance to foreign tradition and polish your dynamic personality.